At its meeting on February 27, 2012, Council accepted the recommendations in the final report of its Affordable Housing Working Group (AHWG), including the incorporation of a municipal housing organization.
The first action will be to recruit the founding directors for the new Bowen Island Housing Corporation (BIHC). The BIHC founding directors will complete the incorporation process while carrying out an initial work plan outlined in the AHWG report.
The AHWG’s report outlined a number of other recommendations, including:
- Include affordable housing in Council’s strategic plan;
- Direct staff to work with the founding directors of BIHC to identify a portion of the community lands in Snug Cove deemed suitable for the development of affordable housing, with direction to create a development proposal in partnership with the private sector; and
- Create a Housing Reserve Fund as the repository for funds received under Affordable Housing Policy #08-03 when the project is too small to generate the specified non-market units.
AHWG Report to Council, February 27, 2012:
Bowen Island Undercurrent articles about the new BIHC:
- Council to set up municipal housing corporation, March 30, 2012
- Preserving the diversity of our community: corporation will be hub of knowledge and expertise, April 6, 2012