The Bowen Island Municipality is inviting applications from qualified individuals to serve as the founding directors of the Bowen Island Housing Corporation, the new municipal housing organization authorized by Council in February.
The Bowen Island Housing Corporation will work with the Municipality, the community and the development sector to facilitate the delivery of diverse and affordable housing on Bowen Island, including both market and non-market types.
The skill-based founding board will implement an initial work plan in parallel with the completion of the incorporation process. The initial work plan includes the creation of a Housing Reserve Fund and the identification of a portion of the community lands in Snug Cove for the development of an affordable housing project in partnership with a private developer.
The ad inviting applications and describing the skills sought for the founding directors was placed in the island newspaper and can be downloaded here.
At its meeting on February 27, 2012, Council accepted the recommendations in the final report of its Affordable Housing Working Group (AHWG), including the incorporation of a municipal housing organization.
The first action will be to recruit the founding directors for the new Bowen Island Housing Corporation (BIHC). The BIHC founding directors will complete the incorporation process while carrying out an initial work plan outlined in the AHWG report.
The AHWG’s report outlined a number of other recommendations, including:
- Include affordable housing in Council’s strategic plan;
- Direct staff to work with the founding directors of BIHC to identify a portion of the community lands in Snug Cove deemed suitable for the development of affordable housing, with direction to create a development proposal in partnership with the private sector; and
- Create a Housing Reserve Fund as the repository for funds received under Affordable Housing Policy #08-03 when the project is too small to generate the specified non-market units.
AHWG Report to Council, February 27, 2012:
Bowen Island Undercurrent articles about the new BIHC:
- Council to set up municipal housing corporation, March 30, 2012
- Preserving the diversity of our community: corporation will be hub of knowledge and expertise, April 6, 2012